Books, articles, and videos by Suzannah
- Awake at 3 a.m.: Yoga Therapy for Anxiety and Depression in Pregnancy and Early Motherhood
- Chapter “Yoga and the Pre-Baby Body” in Yoga Rising: 30 Empowering Stories from Renegades for Every Body by Melanie Klein
- Video reading of chapter from Yoga Rising: FB live video
- Videos on Self-Compassion for The Dailey Method Berkeley: here, here, and here
- How to Talk to Kids (And Other Humans) About Body Image
Alameda County Hotlines and Services
- If you or a loved one are in crisis, you can call the Alameda County 24-Hour Crisis Line at 1-800-309-2131
- Family Paths provides 24 hour support for Parents and Caregivers: 800-829-3777
- Bay Area Women Against Rape (BAWAR) provides a crisis hotline/counseling/advocacy: (510) 845-7273.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- Communities United Against Violence (CUAV) for LGBTQQI people who have experienced or witnessed harassment, violence, abuse, threats, or trauma: 415-333-HELP (4357)
- Alcoholics Anonymous in the East Bay
- Narcotics Anonymous in the East Bay
- California Courts Self-Help for help with restraining orders, child custody, domestic violence, criminal justice system, etc.
- JVS is a San Francisco-based organization offering free employment search assistance, training, job placement, and other resources for jobseekers.
Web Resources for Food and Body Image Concerns
- National Eating Disorders Association supports individuals and families affected by eating disorders, and serves as a catalyst for prevention, cures and access to quality care.
- Academy of Eating Disorders Worldwide Charter for Action on Eating Disorders
- About-Face equips women and girls with tools to understand and resist harmful media messages that affect their self-esteem and body image.
- APTED, the Association for Professionals Treating Eating Disorders provides Bay Area referrals and has a low-fee clinic.
Books for Food and Body Image Concerns
- Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch
- Don’t Diet, Live It by Andrea Wachter and Marsea Marcus
- Life without ED by Jenni Schaefer
- Eating in the Light of the Moon by Anita Johnston
- Body Kindness by Rebecca Strichfield
- Health at Every Size by Linda Bacon
- Body Respect by Linda Bacon
- Yoga and Body Image: 25 Personal Stories about Beauty, Bravery, and Loving your Body by Melanie Klein and Anna Guest-Jelley
- Yoga Rising: 30 Empowering Stories from Renegades for Every Body by Melanie Klein
Resources for Parents and Families of Teens with Eating Disorders
- How to Nourish Your Child Through an Eating Disorder: A Simple, Plate-By-Plate Approach to Rebuilding a Healthy Relationship with Food by Wendy Sterling and Casey Crosbie
- Emotion-Focused Family Therapy Parent Video Series
- FEAST (Families Empowered and Supporting Treatment of Eating Disorders)
Books for Parents of Young Children on Body Image/Raising Healthy Eaters
- Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense by Ellyn Satter
- Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family: How to Eat, How to Raise Good Eaters, How to Cook by Ellyn Satter
- Your Body Is Awesome: Body Respect for Children by Sigrun Danielsdottir
Web Resources for Prenatal and Postpartum Depression and Anxiety
- Postpartum Progress
- Postpartum Support International offers information, a “Warmline” at 1-800-944-4773, and weekly online support meetings.
Resources for Mindfulness and Yoga in Pregnancy, Birthing, and Early Parenting
- Awake at 3 a.m.: Yoga Therapy for Anxiety and Depression in Pregnancy and Early Motherhood by Suzannah Neufeld
- Mindful Birthing: Training the Mind, Body, and Heart for Childbirth and Beyond by Nancy Bardacke
- Mindful Motherhood: Practical Tools for Staying Sane During Pregnancy and Your Child’s First Year by Cassandra Vieten
- Prenatal Yoga with Jane Austin
- Awake at 3 a.m.: Yoga Therapy for Anxiety and Depression in Pregnancy and Early
Books on Yoga Therapy/Mindfulness
- Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom by Rick Hanson
- Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieving Suffering Through Yoga by Amy Weintraub
- Self-Compassion by Kristin Neff
- Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Body by David Emerson, Elizabeth Hopper, Bessel Van Der Kolk, and Peter Levine
- Insight Yoga by Sarah Powers
- The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work by Donna Farhi
- The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotional Regulation, and Distress Tolerance by Matthew McKay, Jeffrey C. Wood, and Jeffrey Brantley
- The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living: A Guide to ACT by Russ Harris